Hello, people of the earth. It’s me again. I am coming at you live with a thoughtful mind. There is so much negativity in the world and I do believe we can turn that around by doing a few simple things.
- SMILE – for Pete’s sake just share a smile with someone. Walking to class I get so many blank stares and people who just roll their eyes. If you smiled at every person you saw I guarantee that no matter how bad your day is you would feel better by doing that one small act of kindness.
- Surround yourself with positive people. It is so easy to get bogged down when you are around people who are constantly talking about how bad their life is. You become who you hang out with and surround yourself with.
- BE THE CHANGE. This past week I had someone pick up a piece of paper that I dropped out of my backpack. A sweet young man stopped me and handed it to me. It was nothing important but it was the fact that he took that two seconds out of his day to help me out.
- Speak kindly to people. You never know what kind of day someone has had. If you think someone looks particularly good that day, then tell them. Those few words could literally change their day.
- Be kind to yourself. While doing all these things for others remember to do things that make you happy. You will not be able to offer love to others until you love yourself.
Recently, I have surrounded myself with people who I want to be like. I found a great friend group in DG and attending the Wesley Foundation here at Ole Miss has been life changing. It is the little things like this that get me through my week and help me to give love to others that the good Lord so freely gives to me. I challenge you this week to go make someone smile today. Give them a wave, smile at them, pay for the person behind you in line, go to the dollar store and buy a box of candy and leave it on someone’s desk. Whatever it is, do it with the love that we are so abundantly given. As Ellen says, be kind to one another.
Thanks for reading!!!
XOXO, Emma Rose Davis
Featured image: a group of us went on the Wesley Statewide Retreat. It was an incredible weekend and these people make me smile.